Our Story

How We Got Here

The San Lorenzo Assembly of God opened in 1952 at the corner of Hesperian and Lewelling Blvd. in San Lorenzo. Reverend Weaver was the first pastor of the church. When city boundary lines were changed seven years later, the church was renamed San Leandro Assembly of God and moved to a new location on Hesperian Blvd., where the Walmart now stands. Perry A. Scroggins took over the reins from Rev. Weaver in 1959 and directed the new church building project where the present gymnasium is located. Soon after, the church was renamed Haven of Rest. In 1982 the new sanctuary, classrooms and offices were built, and during the mid-1990’s, the church was renamed Lewelling Community Church. In 2006, the name was changed to International Christian Center, East Bay. Finally, in 2020, the church adopted its present name, Encounter Church. The church has had six Senior Pastors since 1952.

Rev. Weaver                            1952-1959
Perry A Scroggins                1959-1973
Phillip H. Stewart                  1973-1998
Charles Phillip Stewart     1998-2013
Tim Hohm                                  2014-2016
Steven Sumner                       2016-Present

Expanding the Mission

Our mission is very simple: to lead people to "taste and see the flavors and colors of God." That means we’re not about a building or some complicated religious system, but about helping people from all backgrounds discover the joy that comes from knowing and serving Jesus Christ. God made a promise in the Bible that if we seek after Him, we’ll find Him. You are a valued part of God’s creation and His deep desire is to be in a relationship with you. So, come and join us as we pursue God together!

Be a part of our story

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 11:00am.